Friday, October 15, 2010

My New Facebook Discovery...

Since starting my graduate courses in Library Science, I have been using facebook.  However, I am barely getting familiar with the wide array of useful materials available.  One good website I found and would like to recommend is the ALA Office for Intellectual Freedom.  As a future librarian, I think this will be a useful site to visit because it talks about recently challenged books and gives advice on how to challenge book challenges.  The latest postings to the site deal with the recent attempts to ban graphic novels from libraries. The postings include links to videos and blog interviews. On the website, I watched a video entitled “Top 10 Banned and Challenged books for 2009,” which identified the reasons why each book was challenged.  It was also interesting to find that I have read many of the books listed and would highly recommend them to others including age appropriate students.  I feel that this is a good website for students to find good books that they will be attracted to read since they are viewed as “challenged books.”  The site may also assist parents in understanding intellectual freedom. Parents can also learn about challenged books and thus help their own children in deciding whether to read it or not, while respecting the intellectual freedom of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment