Monday, September 6, 2010

Google and Yahoo are different?

Before I compare and contrast let me make it clear that I have used both of these search engines for years with out any preference.  I simply use whatever is readily available.  My home computer's homepage is yahoo, therefore, that is what I am more familiar with. 

Compare: Yahoo and Google are search engines. Both were created by Stanford Graduates, Yahoo being the first created. They both allow symbols such as quotations and other Boolean type searches.


Contrast: Apperantly, Google is the largest search engine and has other aspects that set it apart from other search engines such as Yahoo.  For example, Google provides cached copies of pages that no longer exist and therefore are unavailble through other search engines.  The "I'm feeling lucky" feature also assists in directing you to the exact website of what you are searching for.

Yahoo started as a subject directory but then partnered with Google to present a combination of a directory and the broadness of a search engine.  Like Google it is easy to use but does not provide additional features such as "cached copies" or the  "I'm feeling lucky" search option. However, it does provide breaking news.

My Personal Conclusion: There are more differences than similarities between both of these popular search engines.  I believe that Google is more equipped to provide the best searches and has better features.  However, I find the Yahoo homepage more appealing because it provides the latest headlines and interesting photographs.  At times, this feature has been a downfall in the sense that I have become distracted by such headlines.  I think that I should stick with Yahoo when conducting random searches and then switch to Google when working on serious assignments.  What do you prefer and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment