Monday, September 6, 2010

Having trouble finding what you need?

I have said "yes" to that question many times!  This is about the only subject mentioned in the tutorial that I was experienced in.  When I have problems finding what I need, I usually edit my search keyword(s) or phrase.  Some helpful tips I plan to keep in mind are to have at least 3 keywords or pick words that may broaden the search, depending what the problem is.  Another idea shared, was that of playing around with different domain names such as org, net, gov, etc.  I also plan to bookmark metasearchers and directories to try other tools aside from the popular search engines that I tend to stick to.

I will be bookmarking:

Metasearchers: Clusty, Dogpile

Search Engines (other than the popular): Ask, Gigablast

Subject Directories: Looksmart, Netscape

Gateways: Digital Librarian,Virtual Library

Subject Specific Databases: Educator's Reference Desk, Expedia

No comments:

Post a Comment